Saturday, February 4, 2012

On The Road Again

I find it quite funny that just yesterday I blogged about not hearing from Will in almost 2 months, and last night, he text me, out of the blue, inviting me to a Motocross show with him this weekend. I'd deleted him from my phone, and wouldn't have even known who it was if he hadn't signed his name to the text. Who is he kidding? He's on my Facebook, so I know he's seen that I'm in a relationship now, so why on earth is he reaching out to me? I politely declined his invitation, to which he tried a little more aggressively to persuade me, before I finally just shot him down coldly. I don't care. When I wanted to do things with him, he was MIA, so now that I'm finally happy again, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure things stay that way. Ha. Sucks for him. I haven't been to that girl's page to see what's going on with her, and you know what, I really don't even care anymore, so I'm not even going to check.....okay, just out of morbid curiosity I might, but it's nothing I'm sweating about.

And, my good friend Mason is feeling the fire as well. Last I'd heard from him was when he sent me a Facebook email saying "Well, Merry Christmas. I might as well wish a good one to all of my enemies no matter how bad they try to fuck me over", and it had been a few months before that since any other communication. Of course, I never responded to that, and I guess his little ego was crushed that I never did. He's obviously been stalking my page again, because he sent me some sort of off-the-wall message last night saying how I'm ruining his life and causing a rift by talking to his family, I lied to him, and somehow he figures I owe him money. One of his brothers is the only one on my Facebook, and we have sporadic conversation, which usually revolves around Greenbay football, and just seeing how each other's doing. Mason's name hasn't come up between us in at least 6 months. What he's referring to about me lieing is completely beyond me, just some shit he's making up in his head, and the money issue, I'm guessing he's regretting all of the gifts he bought for me when we were together. Simply put, they were gifts, and definitely not ones that I asked for. He's trying to get a reaction out of me, and since that's not happening, he's not happy. Better yet, he's just sick in the head. He thrives on drama, and I'm not feeding that bear any longer. I so wish he'd just move on with his little girlfriend in Florida, or whoever the current flavor is, live happily ever after, and leave me the fuck alone before I do block his ass and take his harassment up with his Major or Corporal (I have ways of finding out who they are..Mason isn't the only one in the military that I know). That wouldn't be very nice, but if he wants to play dirty, he's picked the wrong girl to tango with. At first, his little quips for attention were funny and amusing, but now, he's just starting to piss me off. As I've said before, I do have a very vindictive side, with a touch of manipulative maliciousness and slight psychosis, that can surface under the most extreme of circumstances. That side lays dormant until someone like Mason or Jackie awakes it. I just credit it all to being a true Scorpio. I wear the scorpion tatoo to prove it, so all are forewarned.

Okay. Back to my "happy" place.

I wasn't expecting the message I received from Sven. I was touched that the first thing he did was apologize for taking so long to respond to my flirt, explaining that he didn't have a paid membership at the time to message me. I thought it awfully cute that he'd offer a reason to me, not knowing if I was truly even interested, but because I'd only sent a flirt, I was flattered that he obviously signed up in order to message me. My paid membership had expired, and because I was planning to remove my account, I wasn't paying again. I didn't know if I was the only one he was reaching out to, but just the time sequence was enough to make me smile and feel special. I replied to his message letting him know why I sent the flirt, and that sparked a series of messages between us. For a Swede having been in the U.S. for only 8 years, his English vocabulary is very extensive. I was enjoying our conversations, but some of our exchanges were entirely too deja-vu for me, taking me back to when Allen and I first started communicating.

I didn't want to read too much into this, because I'd been in this place before, and didn't want to get my hopes up getting too excited behind someone I was meeting online that could very well pan out to be another dead-head. So, we kept the conversations light, even though they were extensive, and proceeded in getting to know each other as much as words on a computer will allow. It wasn't very long before we moved our conversation offline. I wanted to hear how he sounded. I'd never personally known anyone from Sweden, and I wanted to hear his accent. Outside of television, I'd never heard Swedish talk before. He didn't disappoint me, because he sounds just like the Swede's I'd heard on TV. His accent is extremely thick, and his sentences slow (he tries hard to make sure he properly pronounces each English word), with the peaks at the end of each one, but his words are very clear. It was funny and cute the first time we talked, because I thought TV exaggerated that...it doesn't. Sven didn't have a cell phone, and I thought that completely odd, because, who doesn't have a cell phone? I was a bit leery of this revelation, and my first thoughts were maybe he just didn't want me to have his cell number for whatever reason. But then I thought, if that were the case, if he had something to hide, wouldn't it be more detrimental for him with me having his home phone number? After that thought, my tensions eased up, and I realized that my "jaded suspicions" were trying to kick in. Calm down, R. This man deserves his own chance. My cell phone plan offers unlimited anytime-any-mobile, with unlimited nights and weekends (for all other phone types), but I only have a limited amount of minutes for landlines. I told Sven of this, and made him aware that our talk time would be limited to off-peak times. That obviously wasn't good enough for him, because next thing I know, he'd invested in a cell phone just to be able to converse with me during on-peak times. That spoke volumes to me. It's a pre-paid plan, but it's a start, and I was starting to get the impression that this man was probably serious about dealing with me. He'd gone out of his way to make an investment in something that he probably otherwise had no use for just to be able to talk to me, so to say I was impressed would be an understatement. "How do you know he didn't already have one?" is a question I could hear echoing, but, when he's sitting on the phone (his landline) with me trying to figure out how to turn the cell phone on, how to add the minutes to it, and trying to figure out how the phone operates (he seemed genuinely confused by the whole thing, and he was getting frustrated by it), that let me know this was definitely something new to him. Nobody I've ever crossed would go through that much trouble just to try and cover a lie about a cell phone. Really. It's not that serious.

It started getting to the point between us that all of our free time was spent on the phone together. We'd talk for hours, and never run out of things to talk about. At first, I didn't know how to react to the fact that there's someone who actually wanted to talk to me so frequently, and without the conversation of sex EVER coming up. He wanted to talk, like, all the time: when he'd wake up, sometimes before he'd go to work (he has to be at work at 5 a.m. MST), during his lunch, when he'd get off work, and then most of the night if I was off work or before I went to work, and if we weren't talking, he was emailing me. Even though things were flowing so smoothly between us, I yet wasn't sure where this was going, where I wanted it to go, and I tried to keep things at a distance. This territory was familiar and unfamiliar at the same time, and I had mass confusion about which angle to play it from. I finally got to the point where I decided to relinquish control of the situation, not trying to force it in one way or the other, and just let it flow as it may. If something panned out, then great, if not, besides some major phone and computer time, I wasn't invested for it to matter.

Christmas came and went, we were well underway with our communication, and we decided we needed to meet. We collaborated our schedules, and determined that just after New Year's would be perfect. I found out that he's not an experienced driver. Outside of the town that he lives in, he's never driven anywhere. He said he never drove in Sweden, and had only had his license in the U.S. for around 3 years. Freeways and highways were foreign to him when it came to operating a vehicle. What the hell? Is he serious? I found that hard to believe at first, but just like with the cell phone situation, he made me realize he was being truthful. My normal stance is if a man wants to meet me, he has to come to where I am the first time (after that, I don't mind going to him, and it's fair game on either side), and if I'm in a really good mood, I'll meet him at a half-way point. But just how the hell are Sven and I going to do this since he's never driven outside of his town? I determined that it would be best to meet half-way, but I still had some concern about him taking on a highway for the first time in his life. This wasn't going to be easy. He seemed extremely eager to make it work, though, so the destination point was set for Amarillo, Tx. Amarillo is a little more than half-way for me, and that meant a little more travel time on my half, but, under the circumstances, I'd make the exception this one time. When I say Sven was eager, that's actually an understatement. He didn't sleep at all the night before we were to meet, because he was calling me at all hours of the night. I was enjoying my sleep, so until I woke up early the morning of, I didn't realize how many calls I'd missed from him, and saw that in conjunction, he'd sent me emails as well, reinforcing his excitement. I had to laugh to keep from being upset, because this was going a bit overboard. Mother nature had kicked in, so my grouch level was at a bit of a peak, but I determined that since this man is showing this much interest, I'm going to bask in it...while it lasts.

That trip to Amarillo...boy, was that an experience....he was right about his driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment