Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Darn My Flirtatious Ways

I tried not to think too much about Dave, being that he was off limits, there was no need to. And I didn't think about Junior at all. There were plenty of hot guys checking into the hotel regularly, and being that I had made friends with two of the clerks that worked there, they got into the habit of informing me when some eye candy had arrived. Not only that, but the city is full of delectable men, so, why is it that I couldn't stop thinking about Dave?

A week passed with neither sight nor sound of Dave or Junior, I don't know if it's because of our schedules that we kept missing each other, or if, for whatever reason, it was intentional on their end. On a Saturday evening, I was off work and out walking my children, Junior was sitting in the truck on the driver's side drinking a beer. I waived to him, and steered my girls in his direction so I could see how they were doing. He smiled when he saw me, voluntarily popped open a beer, and had the bottle held out to me as I approached. I thanked him, took it from him, took a swig, and asked how everything was going. He told me that he was doing fine, but Dave wasn't so much. I didn't want to be too nosey and inquire as to what was wrong, but I was secretly hoping it had something to do with him and his girlfriend. Junior confirmed my suspicions, saying that Dave was in his room upset because his girlfriend had just broken off their engagement, took their baby, and was moving out of their house. Wow, I wasn't expecting that. He didn't tell me they were engaged. My children had tangled their leashes around my calves, I went to take a step back and almost fell. Junior found this humorous and asked me if I wanted to ride to the store with him to get more beer. Of course I did. I took my girls back into my room, and ran back out to Junior with the truck running and waiting for me. I didn't really know what to say at that point. I didn't want it to be obvious that I was into Dave, but I didn't want to play it non-chalant that I didn't care that he was in a bad state of mind right then. I didn't have to make the conversation decision, Junior did. He began asking me about myself, which at the time I didn't realize were little "trying to get to know you" questions, like "what happened with my last boyfriend" and if i "ever want to get married again". I was answering, but I really didn't think much into it, because I wasn't trying to get to know him like that, and my mind was on trying to figure out if I wanted to console Dave during his time of despair. We made it to the store, and back to the hotel where Dave was standing outside by that time. He came over to my side of the truck after Junior parked, grabbed a beer from the ice chest, and leaned against the truck, starring straight ahead. Junior got out of the truck, and walked around, grabbed a beer and leaned next to Dave. I didn't know at the time, but Junior had bought a different kind than he had originally been drinking, it was something supposedly stronger. We didn't have to wait long to find out the effect it had on him. I declined another beer offer and sat silently with my legs hanging out of the truck while they made chit-chat about work.

After about the fourth beer, Junior started swaying like he was going to tip over. Dave was only on his second one, so he was fine. We both looked at Junior when he started staggering and looking like he was in a trance. Dave asked him if he was ok, to which Junior replied by giving him a blank stare, and then just fell over. Dave and I looked at each other in surprise, and I got out of the truck to see if Junior was alright. He was laying on the ground on his back mumbling something incoherent then started laughing, but he wasn't bleeding or anything, so Dave and I decided we needed to get him to his room. Dave took one side, I took the other, and we lifted Junior to his feet, and walked him towards his room. What shocked me was as we had our arms around Junior, Dave had adjusted his arm to where it was right around mine behind Juniors back, and began lighltly rubbing my arm with his fingers. I felt chill bumps run down my spine, and knew that Dave indeed had been thinking like me.

It was a slow walk through the hotel halways, because Junior kept stopping and falling to his knees. At one point he stopped and told us to just leave him right there, he couldn't make it any further, then stretched out in the middle of the floor. Whatever he drank gave him flatulence, too, because he passed alot of gas during that walk. I was trying hard to stiffle a laugh, but I eventually gave in and laughed about the whole situation. Dave started laughing, too. It was even more funny when some other guests looked out in the hallway and saw Junior laying there mumbling and farting. They were concerned at first, but when I assured them that he was just drunk, they looked puzzled, then started laughing because I was laughing.

We eventually got Junior off of the ground and into his room. We layed him on his bed and he started singing some song I'd never heard before. I took his shoes off of him, and when I stood up, he grabbed my arm and pulled me down on top of him and tried to kiss me. Dave just stood there. I let out a small scream and jumped off of him..that was not something I wanted him to be seeing. So, I told Junior that I had to go check on my dogs, he tried to stand up and grabbed for me again telling me he wanted me to stay with him. Dave was already at the door holding it open and looking at us. I managed to get his hand from around my wrist and told him that I didn't think that would be a good idea and I had to go. He made a grab for me again, to which this time Dave told him to let my arm go. Junior colapsed back on his bed and looked at us blankly. Dave told him to sleep it off, and he'd be back in the morning to check on him. I gave Junior a smile as I walked out. Once I was in the hallway, I started laughing again, and Dave, with his head down, just smiled.
I was crossed between thoughts at this point, and a conversation pursued something like this:
Me: Wow. That was crazy. Does he get like this on a regular basis?
Dave: (smiling, looking straight ahead) This is the first time he's gotten like this since we've been here. It was that beer. Someone told him about it, and he wanted to try it. I didn't care for it, that's why I didn't drink very much 
Me: Ah. I see. Well, it's good you didn't cause if it did him like that, I don't think I could've carried the both of you (nervous laugh)
Him: (smiles) Yeah. That wouldn't have been good
We walked in silence until we got to our wing. His room was before mine, and we both stopped in front of his door.
Me: Well, you have a good night then
Him: (unlocked his door, then looks at me) You calling it an early night?
Me: Well, I really don't have anything planned. Just going to the room, watch some TV and play with my girls for a bit. I'll probably doze off before too long
Him: You in a hurry to get to your room?
Me: (smiling) No. Why?
Him: If you're up for it, I would like some company. Just for a little while, if you want
That was all I needed to hear.

I smiled as I went back to my room later that night. Without going into details, I'd managed to put Dave into a deep sleep, to where when I got up to get dressed, he didn't even stir. I left him snoring, kissed him on the forehead, and tried to close his door without making too much noise.

I know I took advantage of a bad situation, but obviously, he'd thought about me just like I'd thought about him. I didn't know when I'd see him again, and thought that to be a one-time thing...that was, until a few days later when Junior sent him to my room to invite me to dinner with them....

No comments:

Post a Comment