Thursday, December 22, 2011

Usually, I'm A Good Girl....Usually

Hello, faithful readers! I apologize for my absence on yesterday, had lots of crap to catch up on, and as promised, I made up that gym time. Instead of my usual 1-1 1/2 hours, I invested 2 hours! The extra 30 minutes may not seem like much, to those that may also be gym rats, but believe me, the burn can be pretty intense in the first or last 30 minutes. I like to push myself, and am stoked that I finally accomplished a goal of 3 miles in 25 minutes on the treadmill!!  YAAY ME! It was sort of like a personal accomplishment thing that I'd set out to make when I was dating the military captain (you'll hear about him eventually), because he bragged about being able to do 3 miles in 23 minutes. To anyone that can do it in less time...good for you, but you can SUCK IT!! I'm happy with meeting my little goal, and maybe, just MAYBE if you challenge me, I might have to beat you! hehe. I'm competitive like that...

Anyhoo. Besides investing the extra time at the gym, getting my little cozy nest straightened, and getting some errands ran, I got to catch up on some much needed rest. Sometimes it seems that no matter how much sleep I get, it's just not enough..especially when Mother Nature is involved in the picture.

I did have a bit of disappointment happen yesterday, though. I tried to call an old friend that I hadn't talked to in forever, and both numbers that I had for him were no longer in service. I guess I left out when I met "Scott" during one of my pre-move visits to Oklahoma. Yeah, I encountered other times when Anthony didn't answer his phone when I was on my way, so being that I'd gotten kind of used to that by then, I just got in the routine of getting the hotel room, and just waiting til we made contact.

Not like (for the sake of giving the town a name, I'll call it "MacTown") MacTown had a plethora of hotels to choose from, but like any other town with a population bordering on roughly 8,000 people, and a major highway running straight up the middle of it, it had it's fair share. One particular time I chose a hotel just on the outskirts of MacTown, which is where I met Scott. He worked on a pipegang, and was heading to his car just after I checked in and was heading to my room. Me being the major flirt that I am can be, I immediately noticed this semi-short, but stocky, devastatingly handsome, head full of delicious looking nicely trimmed dirty-blonde hair, goatee-just-like-I-like-them hunk of a man with the prettiest crystal-blue eyes I'd ever seen. So, I did what any other woman who's pissed at her boyfriend at the time would do. Instead of heading straight to my room, I defaulted and headed back to my car, which coincidentally happened to be parked right next to his. He drove an older model Buick LeSabre, but it was extremely clean, and on closer inspection, I noticed he had a pair of black and white dice hanging from his rearview mirror. Ha! I had a pair of purple ones on mine (purple is my favorite color). Need I need more to strike up a conversation? I think not. The conversation went something as followed:

Me: Wow, so you're into the whole dice thing, huh? Do you actually shoot?
Him: (just about to get in his car but stops, and starts laughing) Naaa. I just like the look of them
Me: Ah, I see. Well, nice dice (<<-- lame, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else to say)
Him: (laughing) Thanks. (nodding in the direction of my car) I see you're into dice too?
                  (Lovely, he's continuing a conversation...I'm in!!)
Me: Naaa. I really just bought them for the color (laughs) By the way, My name is R (goes to his side of the car to shake his hand)
Him: Nice to meet you, R. I'm Scott. So, you in town for a while?
Me: (loving this exchange) No, just a couple of days. Here to visit a friend girl of mine and her kids (I'm such a stinker!)
Him: Cool. Well, I'm just on my way to the liquor store to get something to drink for me and my buddies. You drink?
Me: On occassion. But, if you're inviting me to the party, then, yes I do
Him: Yeah. What do you drink?
       (Up through this point, I hadn't been much of a drinker, so I really didn't know what to say..so, I took the easy way out)
Me: I'm not particular. What ever you're getting, I'm good with
Him: Budlight ok?
Me: Sure
Him: Okay, I'm in room (xyz), so, come by in about 20 minutes, okay?
Me: I'll get settled in my room and then be there with bells on
Him: (laughing) Ok, see you in a few

And thus was the beginning of my friendship with Scott. Granted, at any moment I knew Anthony could call, but I figured if he didn't I wasn't going to call him again. I had come for one purpose, and my agenda had probably just changed.

Nothing happened between me and Scott. We drank in his room with his buddies (I know my limits, especially around strangers), ate some bar-b-que they'd put on a portable pit on their room balcony, and I got to know Scott better. Found out all about his job, where he was from, told him the real reason I was in town (he didn't hold it against me, said he was glad Anthony hadn't called, although, he had, but I'd left my phone in my room...accidentally...who am I kidding??!!), had a few hours of an all-around good time, and then called it a night...in my own room...alone. They had to be up rather early for a 2 hour drive to their work site that next day, so they weren't making it a late night. It was a Tuesday, for petes's sake. I was heading home the next night and Scott said we'd probably miss each other, so we exchanged numbers before I headed to my room. (Long story short, we became really good platonic friends..he eventually got married, had a kid, and we lost touch)

Anthony did call the next morning questioning why I hadn't called him. I told him after I tried to call, I was so tired I'd went to the hotel and crashed. He bought it. I usually don't make it a habit of lying stretching the truth, especially to boyfriends, except when necessary. Anthony was the jealous type, so it was necessary. We spent a few hours together before I got on the road. Even though I didn't get to spend much time with him on that trip, I'd made a new friend...didn't know where that could head at the time, but Scott ended up being exactly what I needed him to be in my life...a true friend.

2 comments:

  1. Far out. Your writing's engaging. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAWWWEEE!!! Thank you, Jared! You have no idea how much that means to me coming from you! You're the king!!! :)

    ReplyDelete