Monday, December 26, 2011

Two's Company...Three's Congested

I trust everyone had a fair holiday yesterday. My day was spent sleeping, washing clothes, and at the gym before I had to go to work. That's how I preferred it (with the exception of having to wash), and that's how it was. True, for some, "there's no place like home for the holidays...", but because of my unconventional work schedule, I'm not always able to make it home to Texas to spend holidays with my family (I made it for Thanksgiving this year). I get invited to spend those times with friends here, but I really don't like "tagging along" and feeling like a "3rd wheel", so spending restful time with just my children is sufficient for me. I like my line of work (retail), but sometimes it can really kind of put a damper on the holiday spirit for me (we're open 365), so much so to the point that I say "bah humbug" to Christmas...I'm always just ready for it to be over. It gets really old really fast dealing with scrooge-type shoppers, and constantly having to change store decor, and as a manager, no matter how aggrevated I may get by either, I have to stay "positive". Those shoppers and constant decor changes are what pay my bills. I could possibly change careers to where I have more flexibility when it comes to having weekends and holidays off, but, I love my company, they've taken care of me for almost 3 years, and I like my bi-weekly work schedule, so for now, I'm sticking with it. And the one good thing about it is once I leave out of those doors at the end of my shift, I don't have to worry about any of it anymore...until the next time I clock in.

That's the same line of work that relocated me from MacTown to BoreTown. In transition, the company that I accepted the new line of work in temporarily sent me to another city (where I currently live) for 6 weeks of training prior to moving me to what-was-supposed-to-be my permanent store in BoreTown. This city that I trained in is where I met "Junior".

I hadn't established a residence in BoreTown yet, so I moved all of my stuff into a storage unit, and decided to look for a place while I was in training. The hotel that the company put me in was an extended stay facility, so it frequented guests that were on long term assignments for various jobs in this city. Junior was one of these people working for one of these companies.

One evening, I was heading in to my room (coming from the gym), and noticed 2 guys sitting in a truck in the hotel parking lot with their doors open and music playing rather loudly. Naturally, I glanced to see who these inconsiderate people were that had no respect for the otherwise quiet neighborhood. The guy sitting in the driver's seat caught my eye. We'll call him "Dave". I guess they noticed me, too, so I smiled and nodded in a friendly gesture. The passenger, whom I later found out was Junior, lifted his bottle of beer to me in greeting. Being that the driver had caught my attention, I took their exchange as an opportunity to do my "flirt" thing. I approached the passengers side and spoke. Junior, who had been leaning in the seat with one foot on the dashboard and the other hanging out of the truck, sat up and smiled at me. I didn't pay much attention to Junior at the time, because I was too busy trying to take in Dave's appearance. In a sitting position, he appeared to be at least 6ft tall, he had a head full of curly dark brown hair (I'm a sucker for a curly-haired guy), clean shaved, nice tan, "corn-fed-country-boy" build, and sparkling hazel eyes. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Junior wasn't a bad looking guy. He was a little shorter than Dave, darker complected, mullet-type semi-wavy hair, a build that looked like he's no stranger to hard work, but looked older than what I wanted to be involved with.

After the greetings were exchanged, Junior offered me a beer, and being that I wanted to get the story on Dave, I accepted. The three of us sat out in the parking lot drinking, having casual conversation, and listening to country music for about 3 hours. I found out they worked for a private company that builds silos, ovens, conveyor & assembly line belts for major manufacturing companies, and they were in town working for the next 2 months. Eventually, Junior decided it was getting close to his bedtime, as they had to be up early the next morning. I hadn't found out the information on Dave that I wanted, so, being sly, I asked where their rooms were. Just so happened, Dave's room was 3 doors down from mine, and Junior's was on the other side of the building. Yes! I advised him that we were going in the same direction, and asked if he wanted to walk with me. I noticed that Junior looked a little irritated by that, but said his goodnight and headed towards his room. Now I finally had Dave to myself, and could dig as deep as I wanted to before our 5 minute trek was up. I tried to be coy about the situation, but figured what the heck, and just blatantly asked him if he was married. I guess I caught him off guard with the question, because he gave a nervous laugh and started rubbing his jaw. I took that as a yes. He finally answered that he wasn't married, but he did have a "baby's momma" that he lived with back home, but they'd been going through a rough patch. That wasn't what I was wanting to hear, because in other words he was off limits. Oh well, he still made a good drinking partner. He walked me to my door, and caught me off guard by giving me a hug. I guess that was his way of saying goodnight and he enjoyed our little hang-out time. I returned the warm embrace, said goodnight, and watched him walk in the direction of his room. He glanced back a time, and something in his look told me that he wasn't done dealing with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment