Monday, January 2, 2012

Last Chance To Dance

It had been a long week at work for me, so I looked forward to the little relaxation and fun that Sunday supposedly had in store. Saturday night, I'd called Chrissy to make sure we were still on and see if her friends were going to be able to join us. She told me that her friends had made other plans, but she was yet willing to go. I text Ashton to let him know the situation, to which he replied that the other guys were doing their own thing, but he and Kinley yet wanted us to come over, we could still bar-b-que, drink, and hang out. I hadn't told Chrissy that I was into Ashton, so Kinley would be her only other option, and I know that Chrissy wasn't really discretionary about who she dealt with, but I didn't think even she would be okay dealing with a man Kinley's age. Or maybe she would be. Who knows with that girl. I text her to tell her the deal, that it would just be the 4 of us, but she still wanted to go. She just wanted the free drinks and to do something...anything...to get out of the house. That's so Chrissy.

I picked her up at her house, and drove us to the hotel. When we got there, Kinley was outside tending to the meat on the pit, and Ashton was in his own room. He must've heard us outside (his room was next door to Kinley's), because he came out wearing a NC Tarheels hoodie, some nicely fitted jeans, and that trademark smile. He had a baseball cap on again, but had it turned backwards, and those blue eyes sparkled against his smile. I have to admit, he was looking pretty good to me at that point, and my hormones began to speak out over my better judgement when it came to him.

I introduced Chrissy to him, and we all proceeded into Kinley's room where we ensued a game of spades. As I've mentioned before, Chrissy isn't an ugly girl by any means, and that particular day she had chosen to wear a figure revealing outfit that accentuated everything from her ample breast size, to the thickness of her thighs. I felt a bit inadequate in my attire, because I had just worn a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, and had my hair pulled back under a baseball cap. It was chilly and getting colder that time of year, so I dressed for warmth and comfort versus style, but Chrissy didn't let the weather deter her from dressing provocatively.
We played several games of spades (that was the only game she and I both knew how to play) before Kinley decided to teach us how to play poker. I could only guess that his version was going to include the "strip" version, because he hadn't taken his eyes off of her prominently displayed cleavage, and she and I would definitely not be winning.

We agreed to learn the game, but (not to my surprise) Chrissy was the one that brought up "strip" poker once we got the jest of how to play. I had noticed that even though Kinley was paying close attention to her, she had taken up flirting with Ashton. Several times during our games of spades, she'd laugh loudly at anything that he said, was constantly reaching across the table to touch his arm or hand or something, and was just very flamboyant about her obvious attraction to him. I have to admit, I started getting a little jealous, because even though there wasn't anything going on between Ashton and I, he had started talking more than he had previously around me, and his attention seemed to be on Chrissy as well. I wasn't shut out like an outcast or anything, but I could tell that both guys were definitely liking what they were seeing in Chrissy. We drank, ate some bar-b-que when it was done, played poker (I actually didn't loose as bad as I thought I would. I managed to walk away with my jeans and t-shirt on..sans a bra. Chrissy was down to her bra and tights..not like she'd worn much else), and just commenced to enjoying the evening.

It was close to midnight when Kinley said he was ready to hit the sack to get ready for work the next morning. Ashton walked Chrissy and I to my truck, with Chrissy having her arm looped through his the whole time. I tried not to make it obvious that I was feeling a bit irritated by this, but this is why I'd left Ashton with such a vague response as far as getting to know each other. When we got to my truck, Chrissy gave Ashton a big hug and a kiss on the lips before getting in. He just kind of stood there and glanced at me like he didn't know what to do or say. I just smirked, told him goodnight, got in and drove Chrissy home. On the way to her house she wouldn't shut up about how "hot" Ashton was and how she could see herself sleeping with him. I yet hadn't told her that I liked him, and I didn't say much in response because I knew that Chrissy's personality was alot like mine in that instance of once she set her mind to do something, she was going to do it. So, I knew inevitably, she would sleep with Ashton. I just didn't know it would happen as soon as it did.

A couple of days later Ashton text me asking if I was coming over to hang out with them. I was a bit put off because I knew Chrissy was into him and told him I'd text her to see if she was available. He text back saying he wasn't asking about her, he meant just me. I had no idea where this was coming from, so I asked what was the plan. He said he wanted to see me, and maybe get some one-on-one time in with me. Okay, so maybe he wasn't digging Chrissy as much as I thought he was, and was just attracted to her in the outfit she had on that night. I was curious as to see what this was about, so I agreed.

When I got to the hotel that evening, a few of the guys were corralled in Kinley's room, the door was open as usual, and that familiar smoke cloud was coming out of the door. When I entered, everyone spoke, and I watched the domino game that they were playing. I quickly noticed that Ashton wasn't in there, but thought he might have been in the bathroom because the door was closed. I asked Kinley where his "tag along" was. He told me he thought he was in his room on the phone with his son. What Kinley said next is what floored me. He asked where I'd been the previous days. I told him I'd just been working and at home as usual. He then said "yeah, your girl Chrissy was over here the other night. I thought the both of you were over there in Ashton's room. Surprised me that you weren't here, because I thought you and Ashton were hitting it off." So Chrissy had been over there without my knowledge. And she was in Ashton's room on top of that? The nerve of her! But why did that piss me off when she didn't even know that I liked Ashton? Maybe because he had shown interest in me, and then had my friend over to his room. The nerve of him! "Ah, Chrissy didn't tell me she came over. But, no, Ashton and I are just getting to know each other like I'm getting to know the rest of you guys. That's it. No worries." Yes, there were worries. Kinley shrugged then proceeded to tell us that Ashton was bragging about how wild Chrissy was in bed, and that he had told her he loved her. I almost threw up right then and there. The other guys had their laughs and two cents to say about that. So, it's bad enough that he slept with her, but then he brags about her, and tells her he "loves" her! WTF?! I tried to laugh it off and not be obvious that I was fuming. I knew I wasn't going to talk to Ashton anymore. The audacity of him asking me to come over here to get some one-on-one time after he's slept with my friend. Several things raced through my head about him. I think Kinley knew that I liked Ashton, and this is why he was telling me all of this. Something like his way of subtly saying "watch yourself". Well that was something that he didn't have to verbalize, because as far as I was concerned, there wasn't anything to worry about. Anymore.

Ashton made his way to Kinley's room after a bit, and gave me that smile of his. I rolled my eyes, and gave a nonchalant "hey". I did everything possible to ignore him and the fact that I was pissed beyond belief about what was told to me, but played it off like I was having a good time with the rest of the guys. I think Ashton picked up on the fact that I knew something, although he didn't know just what I knew or everything I knew, because he came and sat on the bed next to me and tried to put his hand on top of mine. I quickly moved my hand, got up, and walked to stand next to the window to watch the game. He stared at me the whole time. Nobody else in the room seemed to pick up on our silent battle of whits, or if they did, no one said anything, because everyone just continued on as usual.

When Kinley called it a night, and everyone was disbanding from his room, I was heading to my truck where Ashton ran over to catch up. A similar conversation pursued:

Ashton: Hey! Why aren't you talking to me?
Me: (sarcastically) Oh, I'm sorry. Goodnight
(unlocked my door and tried to open it. Ashton put his hand on the door to keep it from opening)
Me: What the fuck, Ashton? Would you please move so I can go?
Ashton: (laughing) Hey, quit being such a grouch. What's wrong with you?
Me: (turned to face him) Why don't you tell me, huh? You asked me last week if we could get to know each other better, then asked me to come over here to get some one-on-one time tonight, I don't see you until 30 minutes later. What do you want with me?
Him: (sighed and leaned against my truck door)
Me: Move please. I need to go home, and you need to get some rest for tomorrow
Him: (laughing) Sorry it took me so long to get over there, but my son is sick and I was on the phone with his mom. She started bitching about some stuff, and the conversation took longer than I thought
Me: Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he feels better soon. Now will you please move so I can get in my truck?
Him: I still want my one-on-one time
Me: Ah, you want one-on-one time with me, huh? Didn't Chrissy give you enough of that already?
Him: (eyes big) Oh my god. Look, that wasn't what you think it was
Me: Oh, yeah? Well obviously it was something for you to be in love with her already
Him: (laughing again) Is that what you think? You think I love her? I don't even know the tramp, how can I love her?
Me: You tell me? Obviously she wasn't too much of a tramp for you to sleep with her
Him: That's exactly why she's a tramp. Look, I don't know what she told you...
Me: It doesn't matter. I don't care, just move so I can leave
Him: (leaning his hand on my door) Look, I like you, can't you tell?
Me: Nope. Move
Him: What do you think I've been doing all this time? You think I've been texting you and wanting to see you just because I was bored? I can deal with any woman for boredom. Yeah, okay, I messed up by sleeping with your friend. She showed up unannounced, and I was horny. That was a mistake, but I don't like that girl. She's not my type, and I want you
Me: You're right, it was a mistake. A mistake in thinking you're any different than any other horn dog. And to think, I actually considered us getting to know each other better. You surely won't get ANY kind of anything from me now. I'm sorry..I don't do sloppy leftovers

He moved from my door, I got in and started my truck as he just stood there with his hands in his pockets.

Me: (out of my window) And I don't know what your intentions were as far as I was concerned, but since you can deal with any woman for boredom, go find another one to deal with, because I'm not the one

I drove off and saw him watching me through my rearview mirror. As I was driving home, I got a text from him that said "I'm sorry". I didn't respond. I don't know why I blew up over something that wasn't even existent. It's not like Ashton and I were dating or anything. He was just some guy I'd met not long ago that I thought was cute, but I'm glad I saw what he was before I took that dive. No doubt I was a bit discouraged now, because there goes my plans to spend my New Year's under the mistletoe. Oh well. This isn't the first year, and I'm sure it won't be the last, I thought.

New Year's came and went that year. I spent it at home, on my futon, curled up with a pint of cookie dough ice cream, watching the ball drop in New York. The next couple of weeks went by and I tried not to think of Ashton. It took a little effort, but what made it easier is that I hadn't heard from him. I hadn't heard from Chrissy, either, and I went on about my life as I'd done for so long. Things weren't getting any better at work, but for the time, I tried to make the best of it. Around the end of January I got a text that said "I need you..."...aaahhh, three words that crumble my wall. "...please talk to me". I sighed at the thought of texting him back, but with the new year, I relented and text back saying "last chance".

No comments:

Post a Comment